Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Introductions! Hello?

Hello and welcome!

I made this blogspot to ensure we had a space to share and edit our work. I figured it would be much easier to allow for consistent communication and will save mass-emailing. How is everyone doing? Happy Birthday to someone in the workshop, Phil Davis Giles, who turned 32 recently! I also agree that it is a good number :)

The first "in-person" lecture/workshop was overall a fun(ky) success. Thank you Jessi Hughes and Chris Appling for coming and humoring my rant on the basic fundamentals of form, style and structure :). Lots of smiley faces. Chris had the great idea of recording my small Asian voice and pinning on here for all of you-- for those of you that are mostly long distance. We thought of it after this first session was over however, so you'll have to wait a week or so to hear the next one. Not that I wouldn't love to nerd-out everyday. Jessi and Rie also mentioned on the event page that connecting over google + or keeping a consistent IM client could be helpful, thanks for that :) But hey, the reason for the post...

Feel free to post introductions: your name, where you're from, your background in writing (doesn't have to be about poetry), what you're majoring in (or what you'd like to study), and maybe what you'd like to get out of this workshop writing-wise. Random attributes are also welcome :)

I invited a few people whose email addresses I had. Once you accept, you'll have author rights to the blog so you can create and edit your own posts. You can title the introductory posts under your name or whatever you choose. Thanks!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the birthday wishes, Tara!

    My name is, as already mentioned in the article, Phil Davis Giles although I'm okay with just Phil! And yes, I just turned 32. I'm old!

    I'm currently living in the lovely mountains of eastern Tennessee and will be participating long-distance.

    I was a double major in studio art and art history when I attended the University of Tennessee (back when I still had aspirations of being a working artist). I am hoping to go back to school for a masters in Developmental Psychology so I can help deaf children with their education (as I'm deaf myself).

    Pleased to meet you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting Phil, and no you are not *that* old!

    Yay for the Arts...:) I studied Psych while I was in California and it was always interesting. I underwent this "personal" interpersonal communication project we were meant to construct during one of the courses, and it ended up being really successful. I think you have pretty cool goals and just maybe somehow this crazy workshop will help you out. Also, it would be fun to have an ASL skype session haha, focusing on our hands more than our faces. I've never tried anything like that.

    -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Chris. I live with Tara in AZ. My Major is going to be network administration. I have no background in writing. I want ti learn more better grammers and be a more good poet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the party, but I'm trying to catch up.

    I'm Rie. I live in WA and I'm pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing. My focus is in fiction, though, and lately I've found myself writing the same things over and over again, so I'm hoping to gain a more poetic voice (and a wider vocabulary) from this workshop.

    My undergrad was in Dance Choreography (BFA) and English (BA) with a creative writing emphasis in fiction. I almost had a Linguistics minor as well, but didn't end up finishing it.

    Also, hahahaha Chris. We can help you with the 'grammers.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting again, guys :) The first google+ session was a pretty cool success, I think. First time for me using that feature, but I think it's just emphasizing my Google crush since we have Google based phones, hah.

    p.s.
    Chris-- I know you made those little grammartikal errors just to berther me. Ok, going to go read the blog poetries now.

    ReplyDelete