Monday, November 19, 2012

No Title


you look at me with an awestruck expression
you know what you must do to help me.
"But what about my friends. My family?" you ask me.
"None of them matter anymore," I say to you as your face grows grim.
You know what I have asked of you is a one way road, but you have the courage to continue.
"I'm ready," you say hesitantly.
"Good, let's begin," I say coldly.
I'm sorry it had to be this way, but you stepped foot in this house.
You slept in this bed and you must make the sacrifice.
You follow me glumly into the deep, dark passage.
Your hand brushes against the wall and you feel the moist sticky moss and hear the dripping water.
The pungent odor of mildew fills your nose.
I show you to a large wooden door with old iron ring handles.
You feel a sudden sense of dread and stutter at me.
"I...I don't know if I can do this. It's to much."
I look at you blankly and push the door open.
The cold night air blows past your face and the scent of mildew assaults your nose.
We step out on to a raft floating on an endless lake.
You look at me and ask me one final question.
"Is this what I think it is?"
I reveal my true form and answer you flatly.
"This is the river styx. And my name is Charon."

No comments:

Post a Comment